This Week I Hate

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Going over old ground

A Christmas card was just placed on my desk, courtesy of the obese woman who works round the corner. It is my first of the year and, sadly, won't be my last. She even said 'I've done all mine already', as if to gloat, assuming that everyone has to write out 20-odd cards. I don't and I won't.

I don't like cards. Not just christmas cards - cards in general seem an awful waste to me, most of the time. Not all cards - there is a place for some - like birthday cards from distant relatives that contain a small note about how they're doing. Or maybe a get well card for the person from the office who's been off for the last year with some unknown disease. It must be quite depressing sitting at home, barely able to get out of bed, not knowing when, or if, you will get better. A card for them must be quite nice, perhaps even bring a smile to their face.

What I don't like is cards for the sake of cards, cards because 'that's when you give a card'. Moving into a new house, getting a new job. Bollocks - that's just life. Things change, shit happens, you don't need to go buying fucking cards just because Clintons say you have to. Same principle with the Christmas bollocks - waste of money and trees.

You may remember, however, that I wrote about cards this time last year, hence the title of this post. It made me realise that I've been doing this blog for just over a year now and, in a way, it's come full circle. I thought about writing it off as 'a year of hating', with the thought that another year won't produce anything hugely different. That may well be the case. I'm undecided as to whether I will continue to vent on here or not. Things are changing though. This time next year I won't be working in an office, getting Christmas cards. After five years of doing so, I'm not going to spend the next year sitting at a desk wondering what sort of life this is, how I ended up here, where I want to be going, what I want to do. I'm giving this shit up because I'm bored of it, because it's too easy and, mainly, because I can't do this for the rest of my life. It would kill me, one way or another. So I'm getting out. I'm going on an adventure. If I find something to hate, I'll be back.

2 Comments:

  • I don't like the status issues involved in card giving/receiving. If you buy and give ugly cheapy cards, 100 cards for a £1 type, then it makes you look like a cheapskate. So there is the pressure to buy the posh, glittery nice expensive cards from M&S. Sometimes, like for work it's possible to not look too bad giving out the small but still nice cards. But then everyone has to have the same type of card otherwise there are favouritism issues. Then there are charity xmas cards. Christmas is a special time for charities, it's another excuse to get out there and make money. Are people judged on what charity cards they buy? I would look to see what charity if any my money is going to before i bought cards and then i'd pick the one i like best. Last month i was sent the most ugly cards free in the post by an animal charity, i'm too embarrased to give them out. On the back there is helpful advice on how not to be cruel to animals. Anyway, apart from leftover cards from last year which i will send to far away friends i'm not sending any.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:42 pm  

  • The trip is nigh, huh? I wouldn't put 2006 down as a year of hating. This level of vitriol takes a good deal more practice than a year. My guess is you've always been a miserable bastard.

    I'm kidding, but still... any hating is always cancelled out by the laughter it can bring. Hating for the sake of hating is wrong and destructive. Hating for purposes of amusement is wonderful and I for one hope you hate again real soon.

    By Blogger P., at 10:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home