This Week I Hate

Friday, February 10, 2006

Organised Religion, Hypocrisy and Cartoons

What a load of bollocks. I mean, really. It's like the World has become a big school playground and one of the kids who hangs around behind A Block has said something about one of the kids who hangs around behind the bikesheds mum. And then bike shed kid has burnt his house down and threatened to kill his family.

It's pathetic and it seems that, once again, organised religion is providing the mask behind which some people are fulfilling their violent tendancies. And again it's "'The West' attacking Islam." Well I am, apparently, part of 'The West' and I can say quite honestly that I don't give a fuck. I don't care. If you want to believe whatever it is Islam says you should believe then go for it. It makes no difference to me. Same with Christianity - same with all of them. I don't care. Believe what you like but leave me out of it.

But in the same way leaders insist that we don't paint all Muslims with the extremist brush, they are painting the whole of 'The West' with the anti-Islam brush. 'The Divide' is, apprently, bigger than ever now and growing fast. Well it's not from my point of view. As far as I'm concerned, your religion is insignificant to me - it's your actions as a human being that I judge you on. But if they keep on like this - extreme violent reactions, excused by religion - then I wouldn't be surprised if the 'gap' (which, some might say, is the product of their own labour) does widen. It's almost like they want it to.

4 Comments:

  • Because it didn't get spotted by any of the politically correct nanny do gooders Roger. The people who found it funny laughed and the people who found it offensive turned the page. Once the above mentioned find something like this, they drag it into the public eye and try to correct it. Not always the best course of action me thinks. The extremists take up a crusade and the publishers and their peers try to defend their actions (hence the republishing: freedom of the press and all that). A real irony is that historically, "the profit" has been depicted in islamic literature. It isn't expressly forbidden in the Koran, it has just been decide in fairly recent history that it is not the done thing.

    Some find cartoons of the profit distasteful. Fair enough. I find footage of a public execution of someone on TV just because they had the wrong ethnicity in the wrong place at the wrong time distasteful but I don't use that as an excuse to burn property and threaten the lives of anyone who looks the same as the executioner. That said if the victim was close to me and I could lay my hands on the actual executioner, I may be tempted to exact some revenge..... old testament stylee! :o(

    Ooh this stuff makes me angry! Some people only seem to be happy when they are self righteously torturing others...... and I'm not just talking east-west now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:10 pm  

  • I didn't think the cartoons were funny in the slightest. Part of the problem no doubt.

    A genuinely hilarious gag about Mohammed, Jesus and - I don't know - Buddha might unite the world. Just need to think of one.

    By Blogger Mike, at 4:30 pm  

  • What cartoons?

    By Blogger The Great Blandini, at 9:38 pm  

  • I haven't paid much attention to this story as it is a load of old nonsense (ref Salman Rushdie), but I couldn't help but notice the pictures on the front pages and the TV.

    I'd lay money on few of those protesters setting foot in a mosque on a regular basis.

    Same old rent-a-mob as you see anywhere: a bunch of young men up for a ruck. That's all it's about.
    Football hooliganism is out of fashion, so those people add themselves to other events (Countryside Alliance, MayDay protests, Fathers for Justice, Islam).

    It's just an excuse for a punch-up. Bunch of idiots.

    By Blogger The Great Blandini, at 10:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home