This Week I Hate

Monday, October 03, 2005

Celebrities

I had the unfortunate experience of watching Britney Spears on the TV at the weekend - that programme where she films herself with a camcorder. As you might expect, it's awful. Truly the most self indulgent half hour of TV tripe I have ever seen. The part of it that really annoyed me, however, was when Ms Spears filmed herself asking her 'support staff' probing, personal questions. I'm fairly sure most of the people hadn't actually met her before, spending their time 'behind the scenes' taking green M+Ms out of packets, or whatever it is they do. Anyway, Britney took it upon herself to find out what everyones favourite 'sexual position' was, regardless of whether they wanted to tell her or not. What ensued was amateur-quality video footage of her 'staff' being hounded into answering 'the question', most of whom clearly didn't want to but were too polite and, presumably, too in need of keeping their jobs to tell her where to stick her question. Now, if Britney, no - if anyone were to stick a camcorder in my face and demand to know what my favourite sexual position was, I would imagine, or at least hope, that the conversation would go something like this:

Britney: Hey, what's your favourite sexual position?
Me: None of your business.
Britney (pushing camera closer): Come on - how do you like to do it?
Me (staring into camera): Fuck off you talentless bitch.

I also read an article in the Guardian about Charlotte Church. It was advertising, believe it or not, a reality TV show about her. The writer spent most of the article congratulating Ms Church on how 'down to earth' she is, unlike other 'celebrities'. The parting shot of the article was an exchange between (a pissed) Charlotte and a (posh) fellow party goer:

Charlotte: Where's the bog, I need a wee.
Posh party-goer: (looks shocked)

Now, if they're so interested in normality I would gladly introduce them to some of my friends who have much less respect for posh people and far looser tongues. I don't imagine that's what they're after though.

The problem I have with this is not that Charlotte Church is 'normal'. It's the fact that it's celebrated and written about, which surely then makes her 'not normal'. If we're admiring the fact that she's not like other celebrities, surely not putting her in the papers for picking her nose (or asking where the bogs are) would be a much better way of doing it.

I think the real problem here is not the celebrities themselves but the people surrounding them and 'commenting' on them. Particularly with that Spears bitch. Come on Britney workers - instead of muttering 'missionary' under your breath or looking away embarassed, tell her to fuck off.

2 Comments:

  • Indeed so, the hate is strong in this one!

    I'm keeping my eye on you sonny, I can see you sneaking off and becoming the next Jonathan Woss while our backs are turned! ;^)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:24 pm  

  • Most amusing, PH. I too had the misfortune to witness 10 minutes of Ms Spears. You have my deepest sympathy.

    Oh and btw, what is your fave position? Mheh.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home